From the Collection Friday: Warrenville Woman’s Club

In 1902 a group of community women formed the Warrenville Woman’s Club with Mrs. Edwin Galusha as the first president. Providing help to community projects over the years, in 1927 the Woman’s Club helped establish a Warrenville public library.

These documents are from the Warrenville Historical Society’s Collection and show some of the activities undertaken by the group in the early 1900s.

W. Womens Club Yearbook 84.01.124.c.1. Sec 2 W. Womens Club Program 1904 84.01.124.b Warrenville Womans Club Yearbook 1930-1931 84.01.124.c.3. Sec 2 Warrenville Womans Club Yearbook 1930-1931 84.01.124.c.3. Sec 4 Warrenville Womans Club Yearbook 1930-1931 84.01.124.c.3. Sec 6

Women’s History Month: Florence Uglow Byerrum

Florence Uglow Byerrum 1885 – 1969

Florence Uglow Byerrum 1885 – 1969

It was Warrenville’s good fortune when Dr. Earl Byerrum was appointed to the post of DuPage County Veterinarian in 1923, which led Earl and his wife, Florence, to purchase of one of the first homes built in the River and Grove Addition on Batavia Road.

A many-faceted, talented woman, Florence Uglow Byerrum – a former dean of women at the Western State College in Colorado – had begun her career in education as an Education and Latin teacher, after earning her B.A. from the University of Colorado where she was presented the Phi Beta Kappa key for outstanding work. She continued her passion for education in Warrenville, teaching music in the public schools from 1926 to 1940.

Almost immediately upon moving to Warrenville, Florence plunged into club work, organizing a federated Woman’s Club and guiding it as its first president starting in 1925. She rose through the district and state ranks of Woman’s Clubs to the state presidency in 1947, while still remaining active in the local group.

Her earlier role as State Conservation Chairman (“Illinois’ First Lady of Conservation”) focused her interest in that direction, and made her an excellent choice for National Chairman of Conservation during the period of 1950 to 1954.

The next year, Illinois Governor William Stratton sought her out for his Legislative Commission, formed to study state park entrance fees and repot to the legislature in 1957 with recommendations. The other eight members, all male, promptly elected her as their chairman.

Five years later, Governor Otto Kerner appointed her to the National History Advisory Committee, a body charged with the study of the resources of Beach State Park, which is located north of Waukegan.

Throughout her years, Florence Byerrum’s gracious commanding presence put her in great demand as a speaker on both parliamentary procedure and conservation.