Congratulations to the graduates of 2017! #Celebrating50

School is out and summer has arrived! The Historical Society would like to congratulate all of our local students on finishing the school year and especially those who graduated!

As we do that and welcome summer, we also look back to the graduates of 1967. The graduates of that historic year when Warrenville voted to incorporate, were highlighted in the Warrenville Digest on this day 50 years ago.    

Celebrating a Warrenville Tradition: 4th of July Parades

We hope you all have a safe and happy 4th of July weekend. The Museum will be closed on Sunday, July 3rd and reopen on Wednesday, July 6th from 1-4pm.

We hope you enjoy celebrating family, community and national traditions including our wonderful parade!

July 4th Parade 1967

July 4th Parade 1967

July 4th Parade 1976

July 4th Parade 1979

SCAN7798

July 4th Parade 1987

July 4th Parade 1995

July 4th Parade 1995

 

Celebrating Teacher Appreciation Week: Honoring Warrenville’s First Teacher Seraph Warren Holmes

Seraph Warren was born to her parents Peter and Anna Warren in New York State in 1813. As a young woman in those days, she was grateful that my parents allowed her to get an education.  She was given a good elementary education and trained as a teacher in New York. Her passion for education grew as she taught students on the east coast and when her aunt, uncle and cousins headed west (the Daniel and Nancy Warren family including Colonel Warren and his seven sisters), her family followed them to a settlement along the DuPage River.

Seraph Warren Holmes

Seraph Warren Holmes

Their family made a new home in the new community of Warrenville which was named after her cousin Julius. As soon as Julius’s first boarding house for lodgers was built in 1835, he arranged for Seraph to take charge of the upstairs room as a schoolroom and she began teaching the children who were arriving to the growing town.

Seraph felt that all children, especially the children in the growing area of DuPage County, needed a good education to ensure that they learned how to make the community great. Seraph had a high standard of education and taught any child who wanted to learn.

Although she loved her life as an educator, on January 3, 1849, she married Albert Holmes and they began what they hoped would be a long and happy life filled with love. In those days, women were not allowed to work once they were married, so we know how much she must have loved Albert to leave her other love of teaching for him. Sadly, only five months after their wedding, Albert died tragically and suddenly of cholera while the couple was visiting Galena, Illinois. Seraph returned to Warrenville as a widow to continue her work as a teacher.

3S432 Fourth Street, once home to the Warrenville Seminary, now a private residence

3S432 Fourth Street, once home to the Warrenville Seminary, now a private residence

On September 14, 1851, she helped open and then ran the Warrenville Seminary. The boarding school drew students from the local area, but also from as far away as Chicago and Rockford. Two of our graduates, General Frederick Starring and Dr. John Maynard Woodworth of Chicago, the first surgeon general of the United States, are just two examples of the results of the fine education the school provided students in Warrenville.  The Seminary turned Fourth Street into the school’s campus. Seraph’s father’s house, north on Fourth Street, was the boardinghouse for the boy students, while the girls slept on the second floor of the school house, which still stands at 3S432 Fourth Street and is now a private home.

Peter Warren home as seen in the 1876 DuPage Atlas

Peter Warren home as seen in the 1876 DuPage Atlas, once located on north Fourth Street

After the seminary closed following the Civil War, Seraph and her mother moved to Rockford. There she opened “Mrs. Holmes School for Young Ladies,” to help train new teachers. Her Rockford school would later be incorporated into Rockford College, still known for its good teaching program. After her death in 1905, her body was brought back to be buried in Warrenville. Nine years later, our great community paid her the most ultimate honor when they named the new elementary school after Seraph. The Seraph Warren Holmes School welcomed Warrenville students until 1991 when it closed.

Holmes School which was located at , where the current Police Station is located

Holmes School, where the current Police Station is located on Warren Avenue

Flashback Friday: Warrenville Digest 1979

The Historical Society is lucky to have an entire set of the Warrenville Digest in our collection. This former local newspaper is a treasurer for our community and offers a great look into Warrenville history. Please enjoy looking at these pages from the 1979 Digest on Flashback Friday!

WVD 1979 6.7.1979 p 3

WVD 1979 5.31.1979 p 18

WVD 1979 4.26.1979 p 5

WVD 1979 4.26.1979 cover

WVD 1979 1.11.1979 p 3

Celebrating Thanksgiving with Local History

Thanksgiving is less than a week away! As we prepare to take part in family celebrations and holiday traditions, we would like to share with you a little local history and two recipes for pumpkin pie that are taken from our Warrenville Heritage Cookbook. We hope you enjoy!

John and Helen Mount were active in business and community life here for many years. John and his dad, Glen Mount worked with others for years to get the town incorporated, saw many defeats, but never gave up hope that Warrenville’s identity would not be swallowed up by another town. John and Glen sold many lots in town for $100–and on a time payment loan!

mount hardware

                    Mount Hardware Store

Helen taught 7th and 8th grade at Holmes School from 1937 to 1940. She directed plays and taught music for school programs and belonged to the Warrenville Mothers Club. The John Mounts had three children: Jay, Jodi and Jane.

Pumpkin Pie, submitted by Fay Mount

2 eggs, beaten slightly

½ cup sugar

1 cup pumpkin

1-1/2 cup milk

Mix above in order given. Mix the following with a little flour and add to above ingredients:

½ tsp. salt

¼ tsp. ginger

1 tsp. cinnamon

¼ tsp. cloves

¼ tsp. allspice

Place mixed ingredients in a 9-inch pie shell. Fill to top. Carefully place in 400 degree oven and bake 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until custard is done.

Helen reminds us to always add spices to pumpkin before milk!

Bessie and Ted Klug came to Warrenville in 1939. As kindergarten was not included in the regular school curriculum in those days, the Mothers Club collected funds from parents to pay the teacher. Bessie was the third such teacher and taught in 1944-45 under Superintendent Locke. She taught kindergarten again under Superintendent Bower. She became teaching Principal at Woodland School, then Curriculum Coordinator between Wheaton and Warrenville Schools when Bower Jr. High was built. Altogether, Bessie taught ten years in Big Woods Rural Schools, over 20 years in Warrenville Schools and 4 years in Carol Stream.

Bessie and Ted had two children: Vicki and Corbin.

Impossible Pumpkin Pie

¾ cup sugar

½ cup Bisquick

2 tbsp. margarine

1 can (13 oz.) evaporated milk

2 eggs

1 can (16 oz.) pumpkin

2-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

2 tsp. vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 10 x 1 ½ x 1 ¼ pie plate.

Beat all ingredients until smooth, 1 minute in blender on high speed or 2 minutes with hand beater. Pour into pie plate. Bake until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. 50 to 55 minutes.

Refrigerate any remaining pie.

Published in: on November 20, 2015 at 9:23 am  Comments (1)  
Tags: , , , , ,

Flashback Friday: Happy Fourth of July

 

As we are just hours away from the start of the 2015 Warrenville 4th of July Parade, we thought we’d share some pictures from the 1979 parade. We hope you all have a happy and safe holiday weekend!

We will see you on Wednesday, July 8th when we reopen from 1-4pm! Stop in and meet our Albright Inspired visiting artist Chris Hodge!

SCAN7746 SCAN7747 SCAN7751 SCAN7752 SCAN7753

Biking Along the Old Chicago, Aurora and Elgin Train Line

As Warrenville and area residents take part in the Warrenville Bike Rodeo this Saturday, the Warrenville Historical Society remembers the electric trains that used to run along the Prairie Path; please enjoy reading a little bit about the line that ran through Warrenville in this post originally published in 2011.

After a decades-long struggle to acquire access to the ever-expanding train lines out of  Chicago, Warrenville got its railroad in 1902.  The Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad (CA&E) made its way through Warrenville and brought with it visitors from the Chicago region and the ease of rail travel to Warrenville residents.  Warrenville’s public high school students used the CA&E train to get to school in Wheaton, using a monthly ride ticket given to them by the School Board.  The train made four stops for Warrenville students-Williams Road, the downtown depot, Winfield Road, and Wiesbrock Road.

CA&E Railroad station

As travel by car increased and the East-West Tollway construction expanded, the CA&E passenger service declined after World War II.  Warrenville residents protested the CA&E proposed closing, but after years of threatening service stoppage, on July 3, 1957, at noon, the train no longer made its way through Warrenville.  Commuters who had ridden the train to work that day were left without a ride home.  The rails continued to be used for freight until 1959.  In 1962 the rails were removed making way for the Illinois Prairie Path that marks the trails of the long forgotten CA&E.  

After service ended, the CA&E depot was used by Robert and Dorothy Kelly, first as Dot’s Bargain Shop and then as the Dunk-It Coffee Shop.  After the City government was established in 1967, the old train depot was converted into the Warrenville City Hall until a new City Hall was constructed across the street and the old building was taken down.

To learn more about the CA&E in Warrenville  stop by the Warrenville Historical Museum & Art Gallery during our open gallery hours Sundays from 1:00-4:00p.m.  We are located at 3S530 Second Street.  For more information see our website http://www.warrenvillehistorical.org.  As your city museum, we are here to serve you.  Please contact us with any questions, suggestions or comments at (630) 393-4215 or email us at info@warrenvillehistorical.org.  To keep up to date with all the exciting things we have going on you can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Those Were the Days: The Warrenville Firehouse

Warrenville Fire District No. 1 1944

As the Fire Protection District celebrates its 75th year in existence, the Historical Society is helping commemorate the anniversary. In honor of the formation of this vital community institution, the following, taken from Leone Schmidt’s In and Around Historic Warrenville, details one of two fires in the mid-1930s which pushed the people of Warrenville to form the district. The second event will be detailed in our spring newsletter and in an upcoming blog entry.  For more information about the District’s anniversary visit their website http://www.warrenvillefire.com or Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/warrenvillefire75.

Warrenville’s Firehouse rose out of the ashes of the Baptist Church left smouldering on the ground of 3S472 Batavia Road in 1935.

The Baptists had been worshiping at the site since 1842—in the structure now devastated since 1857. Its walls had echoed to stirring rallies during the Civil War…listened to the deliberations of the Fox River Baptist Association’s 25th anniversary convention in 1860. During all those years the   historic landmark had in some way touched the lives of almost everyone in town. And when it was all over they had   nothing left but the copper box from the cornerstone and poignant memories.

The disaster struck in the cold of winter, and was thought to have been related to the recently installed heating plant. The story was recounted in detail on the front page of the Wheaton Daily Journal the same day, Thursday, December 19, 1935.

“The fire was discovered simultaneously by citizens in the Petit store and in Behr’s garage. Smoke was noticed coming from the building and the resulting investigation revealed that the interior was filled with smoke. Those who first arrived at the church said that the flames were coming from near the roof.

“The Wheaton fire department was called and responded at once, although its efforts were unavailing in saving the church building. Firemen from Winfield and Naperville also answered the alarm. No other structure was affected, however, and the firemen poured water into the blazing debris after it had fallen into the basement. The roof fell in with a crash and a shower of sparks, to be followed at intervals by sections of the walls…

“The roofs of some nearby buildings smoked at times, but water was thrown on them and no damage resulted…”

As the tears flowed and the  people talked and lamented their loss in this latest of fire catastrophes, the conclusion was born as of one mind: Warrenville must have its own fire-fighting force for protection.

Biking Along the Old Chicago, Aurora and Elgin Train Line

As Warrenville and area residents take part in the Warrenville Bike Rodeo this Saturday, the Warrenville Historical Society remembers the electric trains that used to run along the Prairie Path; originally posted in 2011.

After a decades-long struggle to acquire access to the ever-expanding train lines out of  Chicago, Warrenville got its railroad in 1902.  The Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad (CA&E) made its way through Warrenville and brought with it visitors from the Chicago region and the ease of rail travel to Warrenville residents.  Warrenville’s public high school students used the CA&E train to get to school in Wheaton, using a monthly ride ticket given to them by the School Board.  The train made four stops for Warrenville students-Williams Road, the downtown depot, Winfield Road, and Wiesbrock Road.

Warrenville CA&E Railroad station

Warrenville CA&E Railroad station

Snowy day in Warrenville

On another snowy day in Warrenville, we hope you enjoy one more winter image of the land around Margaret Macklin Hall.  If you missed our previous post on the women who stayed at this historic location, please see it here https://warrenvillehistorical.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/winter-fun-in-warrenville/.

SCN_0034